Friday, September 19, 2008

Your stories, part 2

Our first story comes from two North Dakota educators.
To all, I am an environmental science teacher in North Dakota. I had to pay for my schooling independently using loans and grants. When I decided to start college again, I faced many obstacles such as the paperwork, loan procedures, finding a cosigner, etc. All of this was very difficult and I still wouldn't have been able to do it on my own.

Adding to the obstacles was the schools rejection of my application, which I appealed. I was almost ready to give up like most of my friends and go back to working as a cook in a chain restaurant! With some help and support from friends and family I persevered and graduated with honors. Both my wife and I are educators and with our salaries we are worried about being able to pay off the loans.

The process of denying some really unique and intelligent people due to money from achieving their calling is sad. Our hearts go out to all those out there struggling to make it through the hoops and we offer our encouragement and hopefully inspiration. Don't let others stop you from achieving your dream of a better tomorrow!

Sincerely, Two ND Educators
Our second story comes from Andrea D.

I got married in 1987 and quit school to support my husband through college. We both came from middle-class divorced families but they could not afford to help us with tuition. We chose to move to a state with a low cost-of-living so he could finish his degree. The plan was that I would go to school also, but we ended up needing my paycheck.

Since I only had a high school diploma, I had a hard time finding work and the jobs paid peanuts. We started off our first two years of marriage with student loans to pay our rent and his tuition and books. I didn't have medical insurance or auto insurance. Those were grim years! I think most couples would have divorced under the pressure. My husband worked at the college library part-time and as a house painter during school breaks.

It was no way to start a marriage. We couldn't afford Christmas or Birthday gifts. We could barely afford groceries. I became a master at making meals out of a few ingredients. We lived on oatmeal and powdered milk recipes. We donated blood plasma for the $20.00, we were guinea pigs for the science studies so we could earn money that way too. One month the state computer system failed and government employees didn't get paid. I didn't have gas in my car to pull out of the drive-way. I remember buying a few dollars of gas with my silver nickle collection! It made me sick.

We had no groceries and I was so hungry. My boss sent me to get her lunch and I had to smell food being cooked and I didn't have any. I remembered we had one potato at home. I fantasized all day about going home and frying up that potato. When I got home my husband had rearranged some things in the kitchen and the potato was gone. I yelled at him using profanity, "You ate the last ___ potato!" Then I burst into tears. I couldn't believe we were reduced to fighting about a potato. My concerned husband told me it was in the fridge. He understood my desperation because he was hungry too.

Looking back at photo albums of those years we were so skinny! We could have qualified for food-stamps, but I just had too much pride. Twenty years later my husband has a great job and a master's degree. We have three children and a house. Now I would like to go back to school but we don't qualify for financial aid. So it's back to taking a vow of poverty again and making it work. We don't go on vacations, or out to dinner, we won't exchange gifts this Christmas either with each other. When I graduate and find a job my salary will go towards our childrens' college. I don't want them to go through what we did.


Want to share your story with got tuition? Please e-mail your stories, pictures, and videos to gottuition08@gmail.com.

No comments: