Thursday, September 11, 2008

Your stories, part 1

We've received tons of stories from our blog and website and we'd like to share some of them with you.

Our first story comes from Rachael C.

I started attending Saint Charles community college recently. I have no contact with my parents and live with my aunt who has two kids and is a single mother. I have to pay for everything myself and I'm only 18 getting paid 7.25 on a part time job. I do get financial aid but there were so many problems that i still haven't received any money and had to pay half which was $520. I also had to pay for books and I won't be able to purchase all my books until next week because I have to wait for my next paycheck. Even though its a community college which is cheaper it is still a lot for someone in my situation. Tuition is why I chose community college to start with because even with financial aid, I still have to pay some money and I don't have a lot because I have to pay for my car insurance, my phone bill, and anything else I want or need. Please do what you can to help so it is easier for someone else. Thank you.

-Rachael C.
This next story is from Michael C.

My name is Michael C. When I graduated high school, I was on top of the world. I could do anything I wanted. I got into every school I applied to, except Harvard (and I only applied to see if I could get in). My story begins halfway through my high school career.

My mother and I had sat down to talk to discuss my options for college. She said she couldn't help me with the cost of school because she had taken out loans to pay off a house she had bought. I wasn't exactly thrilled about that, but what other choice did I have. If she couldn't support me, then I'd have to take out loans. I graduated high school salutatorian after being in the number one spot for three years (being in the top spot for so many years gave me a lofty head, and i didn't expect anyone to take my place as valedictorian).

I ended up going to Ithaca college, which meant I definitely had to try to get a loan, but I couldn't get one loan...from anywhere. I didn't have any co-signers...no credit..so basically I had no worth. To top it all off, I was homeless (my mother kicked me out of the house after I came out of the closet) school was starting soon and I wouldn't have a place to stay. I couldn't pay tuition straight off the bat and had to run around trying to maintain my enrollment. They let me stay there for about two months, while adding additional late fees to my tuition.

Halfway through November, I had to borrow money from a family friend to pay for my first semester. I had to pay them by the end of the month. I dove into my inheritance, about $25,000 u.s. which I had hoped to stretch out for some time, but my tuition heavily outweighed what I had in my possession. I had about 22,000 dollars worth of aid and scholarships. In the end I payed about $15,000 for school (excluding the extra fees). Trying to get my life in order made it hard for me to focus on my studies and my grades started dropping. I was extremely stressed and everywhere I went, I was told that money had to come before help. My tuition was based on my parents earnings...not mine. I was my sole provider, yet I couldn't catch a break on my tuition. The rules are very clear on certain aspects of who gets greater aid. It is nebulous on certain aspects however, and because of that it makes it hard for people like me who fit in between the cracks.

I struggled a lot my freshman year, I had to be a grown up while the rest of my friends had their parents sending them an allowance every week. It was hard to manage my money, and now I can't even afford to go to a local college. I want to earn my place in this world, but I have absolutely no help. I am alone and tired...and I miss being in school. How am I supposed to make it in this world without a college education? I am not satisfied with the way things turned out, but I guess I have to live with it, because there is no remedy. I hope my story helps someone in the future...because i know I'm not the only one with a story like this.

Love and peace,
Michael C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael, I understand exactally what your going through. Like you I graduated high school with huge dreams and good grades. I have to admit I have managed to stuggle my way through 60 hours at a local community college but that is it. Now I am stuck, like you with no credit and no cosigners all I can get is 3,500 a year which will not even be enough to cover my books for one semester if I want to go to a larger four year univesity. So basically I am stuck,with 60 hours and no where to go. I guess I'm also one of those who fell through the cracks.