Thursday, July 17, 2008

Say hello to Shawn B

We've found some bloggers to help us out here at 'got tuition?' and we'd like to introduce them to all of you. First up is Shawn B.
Hello. I am currently a student from Nebraska attending the University of Nebraska at Omaha working on my Masters Degree in Education full time. By the time I graduate next spring I will have about $60,000 in student loan debt, and I have only attended relatively cheap colleges. My parents, a farmer and a factory worker, can not afford to help me much with college bills. On top of that, many of the colleges I have attended have been in rural areas and jobs are scarce. I know that when I graduate, I will be able to get a steady job, but the amount of my loan payments worries me. If I cannot get onto a graduated or extended payment plan, I may not be able to make it. And if I can't make it, what of the other students who have even more debt? Without a good education, possibilities are very limited for anyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nebraska's abbreviation is NE, not NB. Please fix it in your tags.

I appreciate everything the NEA is doing in the Got Tuition campaign for students!

Thanks for your message Shawn! Keep it up!

got tuition? said...

Oops, sorry about that. It is fixed now.

Anonymous said...

Shawn: your story is such a familiar refrain. I had over $90,000 of student loan debt by the time I finished my education. I couldn't go into public service, which is what I really wanted to do after graduating. I feel your pain!! Thanks for posting.