Monday, July 7, 2008

Dual degree woes

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling but also concerned to hear there are so many of us out there. I recently graduated from Penn State University, PA with a dual degree. I have two undergraduate degrees, one is in Elementary Education and the other is in Rehabilitation Services. I was recently hired as an elementary school teacher, making $34,000, however my loans have accumulated to over $66,000. I see my self sinking, instead of getting ahead.

I am currently 25 years old and working as a full time teacher and I also carry a second job at least 3-4 days a week, to make ends meet on my loan payment. I can not even look at the housing market or rental property for that matter when my loan payments a month are more then some pay on a house mortgage. Yes, I chose to go to school for 5 and a half years but at the same time I was hoping it would pay off, and every one tells me to wait it out and things will get better, but how?

I am interested in starting a family and moving out of my parents place but under the conditions I don't see it happening in the near future. I enjoy working with the students but I'm not sure how long my wallet can handle it. When looking into graduate courses (which are required to keep certification) I cringe due to the amount of cost that needs to be payed out again. Like most, I have both standard government loans and private loans that were needed to pay for housing, which have both been consolidated since I graduated in 2006.

I want to thank you for having an open ear and listening to the current struggle most of us are going through. Any tips on how to lower payments would be greatly appreciated. May the government make some drastic changes in the near future, not only for current students but those who choose to attend college in the future.

-Sara, PA
Teacher and recent graduate

No comments: