Friday, July 18, 2008

Introducing Aaron M

Hello, my name is Aaron and I moved to Wyoming two years ago to attend the University of Wyoming in Laramie. I am a senior in elementary education with an area of concentration in early childhood education. Originally, I was a finance and political science major and was attending college in Illinois when I started worrying about the amount of student loans I had to borrow to not only pay for textbooks and tuition, but also just to live on or near campus and pay typical bills. I have worked at least two jobs my entire college career and still have about $20,000 in student loan debt.

Transferring to the University of Wyoming was a positive move in regards to lowering tuition costs because this school’s out-of-state costs were lower than most in-state tuition costs in Illinois! Also, Wyoming recently jumped into the top ten for starting teacher salaries which led me to believe I could go ahead and follow my interests in the teaching profession and still find ways to pay off my student debt upon graduation. Unfortunately, we are losing potential educators to the rising costs of tuition and basic need for additional student loans. Who can take a starting salary of $32,000 (if you are lucky) and attempt to begin a family with $45,000 in student debt??

Aaron M

No comments: