Thursday, June 26, 2008

Teachers still feel the strain

I taught sixth grade for two years and during those two years I personally strived to encourage students to seek out and earn a higher education after high school. Many of my students laughed at me because I made less financially as a teacher than their parents who work as managers at local stores or other businesses.

I struggled to find money to fund my higher education and I find myself in debt to the government and banks. I will be 49 years old and $60,000 plus in debt due to acquiring a higher education. I was going to stop after I earned my Bachelor degree in elementary education, but due to the abuse I suffered from administrators I chose to work for my Master degree in Educational Administrative Leadership.

Yes, the high cost of acquiring a higher education deters young people and old alike from attending a university. The cost of credit hours and the textbooks are out of control.

--A teacher

No comments: