Thursday, June 26, 2008

High tuition costs keeps students away from pursuing careers in education

I'm having second thoughts about going into teaching. How am I going to afford to have a family? Buy a house? My federal loan payment is $326 a month. My private loan payment, after I consolidated, is $300. Had I not consolidated, it would have been $600 or $700 a month. That's on a $34,000 salary. I would be living on the street at that amount. Along with my car payment and auto insurance, I was dropped from my parents' health insurance. It all adds up. It's forcing me to want to go to law school more and more.

--Anthony Daniels
Student

Everyone wants good teachers to educate our youth and yet we're leaving educators with so much debt. I'm seeing people who could be really great teachers, but because of the debt they've left the field. Now that I'm officially on my own, I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I wouldn't be able to afford a mortgage. With groceries and all of my bills and insurance it's kind of scary. And I'm not even supporting a family. My district is really encouraging us to go back for our master's because the first-year teacher pay isn't all that great. A lot of people have expressed concerns about getting through it financially.

--Kristi Uzzo
Second grade teacher

No comments: