Sunday, October 12, 2008

Your stories, part 5

Our first story comes from Sabrina I.
My name is Sabrena I, I'm a single mom of two and 33. I got laid off in March of this year and thought I would go back to school to become a nurse. I tried for aid but since I already had a degree and too many hours the college wouldn't award me a grant of any kind. On top of that my unemployment was stopped since I was going back to school because being a student is considered an occupation. College is a BIG financial crunch on many today and in the future if something is not done to help students and parents. What I have been through it seems to me everyone wants your money but if you don't have any these people do not want to help so we can better ourselves in anyway.
Our next story is from a student at Oakland University.

Every year I calculate about how much it will cost to live on campus and take 16 credit hours and obtain enough scholarships and grants to cover my costs and without fail every year they take away my grants as my scholarships process and raise tuition and housing fees. I'm always left short enough to clear out my entire bank account every year. My school has raised tuition over 20% since I started at Oakland University in Fall 2006. That is ridiculous and unacceptable for a public university. Every student I know works 1-4 jobs while taking classes in order to pay for one of the least expensive educations in the state. I am tired of earning scholarships based on my good performance in the Honors College and then being penalized by having housing grants taken away. My family cannot afford to pay for my education and that is shown on my FAFS A so I should at least get the financial aid I was proposed to get in the beginning of the year. This is a major issue for all students and we need to let our voices be heard.

Want to share your story with got tuition? Please e-mail your stories, pictures, and videos to gottuition08@gmail.com.

No comments: