Sunday, October 5, 2008

Your stories, part 4

Today we'd like to share some more of your stories.

Our first story comes from Nicholas G.

When I graduated high school in May of 2004, the thought of being in debt for a majority of my life because of student loans was the primary deterrent for not going to school. I chose to work the next semester (Fall of 2004) rather than beginning a life of debt. Realizing that my job was not what I wanted to do the rest of my life, I reluctantly decided to go to college. At the time of my admittance into Western Illinois University, my parents were still married. According to their income, I was not able to gain financial aid; which is a problem of its own that I will comment on later.

During college, I became involved in many things. Greek Life played a major role in my experience and I took on many officer roles including President my last year as an undergrad. I was also involved in an exuberant amount of volunteer activities, Interfraternity Council, Student Government Association, Promoting the Rights of Individuals with Disabilities Everywhere (P.R.I.D.E.), and numerous committees. The validity behind mentioning these activities is because with all of my time being devoted to studying and extracurricular activities, there was no time for a job during the school year to make money other than on my summer vacations. With that, my student loans paid not only my tuition but also so I could eat.

In August of 2008 I graduated from Western Illinois University and was thrown into a economy that is less than suitable for finding a career. I realize patience is a virtue and a job will come, but rather I find a career or not, the student loans are still in repayment after 6 months. My parents are not going to pay my student loans, I am. So for the government to have said that I couldn't get financial aid because of my parents income is foolish.

I majored in law enforcement and justice administration in college and minored in psychology. I'm not naive to the fact that as a civil servant I will never become a millionaire, and will probably never be classified as anything other than middle class. However, I am worried that I will never get ahead of that $50,000 it cost me for my education. The next step in my life would be to buy a house... Possibly a new vehicle to replace my 17 year old truck... I would love to have children... I would love the American cliche of a picket fence... But my next steps are all on hold. I already lived beyond my means by going to college... The sad part of it all is had I known then what I know now, my decision to go to college may have been decided against because I personally don't believe the juice was worth the squeeze.

Our second story comes from Georgette P.

I attend school out of state and owe a prior balance of 8,500. I attend D'Youville college in Buffalo NY. I am eligible for aid to cover the up coming year but am not able to register for classes until that outstanding balance is paid. I am an African American living in a single parent house hold that makes less than 6,000 a year. My Mother is on social security,SSI, and food stamp benefits to make ends meet. Since elementary through high school I had free lunch because she couldn't afford to pay it. She also has a life threatening disease and my father passed away in 2001. No one in my family is eligible to cosign loans for me to pay this balance. I have tried and they all got denied. I really would hate to stop my education because I cannot afford it. I am a hard working student with some financial issues.

Want to share your story with got tuition? Please e-mail your stories, pictures, and videos to gottuition08@gmail.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this same problem. My mom has a disability and she lives off of a $650 check each month from the government. Needless to say, I work part time, go to to school full time, and take over $11,000 worth of loans out each year. I'm overwhelmed with the concept of graduation and then loans til I die. I regret wanting to go to school out of state now that I see how much of a rip off it really is. I wish I had stayed in state. But one thing that I really wish the University system would consider is that in having out of state tuition so outrageously high, they are, in a way, punishing the students who came from out of state to have a chance at a better education than the schools around their hometown.